Advice For Giving Wisely
South Sound Partners for Philanthropy (South Sound Partners) is a conglomerate of over 40 South Sound nonprofits committed to advocate humanitarian efforts in Thurston, Mason, Lewis, Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties in Washington State.
The organization’s mission includes working with local communities to increase awareness of the benefits of giving back, and their efforts seem to be working. Residents of the counties where SSP’s presence is most prevalent (Olympia, Tumwater, Lacey, etc.) have been giving millions to local nonprofits that support various philanthropic causes: arts, health and human services, education and the like. Not only are those counties donating funds, they donate their time to contribute to the causes. Thurston County volunteers are plentiful and over two-thirds donate money.
SSP members are able to contribute and attend community charity fundraisers and events that help educate members through ideas on successful event planning and donating.
Some of the educational information that South Sound Partners offer new members on the benefits of giving are useful to new and current members. Below are just some of their tips for wise charity-giving:
- Plan your philanthropic activities right into your budget just as you would other financial obligations.
- Many employers match gifts made by their employees or make grants to organizations recommended by employees, Google being one.
- If money is not in the budget, or you prefer being hands-on, volunteering your time and skills may be invaluable – for you and the nonprofit. Through volunteering, you may be able to learn about causes vital to your community.
- Don’t give to an organization you aren’t sure about. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about their mission, the people who work for them, who will benefit from the money and the history of the nonprofit.
- If you find an organization you believe in, you don’t have to wait for them to knock on your door. Contact them. More than likely, they’ll be happy to have your help.
South Sand Partners for Philanthropy is just one group of philanthropic people who care about charity, donation and education on various needy causes. Resources can be found all over the internet for your local chapter of similar organizations. Some of those organizations can be found HERE.